Ways To Support
ALL OF US HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY ILLNESS.
The Center for Communication in Medicine and its SpeakSooner initiative are powered by our collective belief that the path through illness can be made easier and more meaningful through open communication. As our work continues to grow, reaching more people and developing new programs and tools to improve communication, we need your help more than ever. To drive the change we are creating, join with us, and bring the gift of better communication to those in need: someone you love, a community you care about, or a medical institution you support.
We welcome your support at any level. Your generosity will ensure we can continue to make a difference – for those who live with illness and for those who care for them – for years to come.
Support the distribution of the Difficult Conversations Workbook:
- Give the workbook to someone you know who is living with incurable illness or to their loved ones.
- Distribute the workbook to clinical staff at your regional cancer center; to primary care practices in your area; to clergy in your community; to palliative care and hospice staff; to facilitators of support groups or to advocacy organizations.
Support CCM’s Difficult Conversations educational efforts:
- Sponsor a “Good Communication is Good Medicine” public education forum and help introduce CCM’s Difficult Conversations program to your community.
- Support medical professionals in your community, state or region by sponsoring a Difficult Conversations educational workshop.
Support the expansion of CCM’s “Writing is Good Medicine”-based interactive products:
CCM’s trademarked Writing is Good Medicine® system—as implemented in our Difficult Conversations Workbook—combines the proven therapeutic benefits of expressive writing with a guided framework to help patients identify and communicate their needs and priorities for care. We believe this framework can help empower patients facing various chronic illnesses, from heart disease, diabetes or chronic pain, to degenerative conditions such as multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease, to take a more active role in guiding their care. We hope to develop tailored versions of the Difficult Conversations Workbook for patients facing a variety of health challenges.
- Underwrite the development of new “Writing is Good Medicine”-based workbooks for other chronic illnesses.
Support CCM’s ongoing work to improve communication in healthcare delivery:
- Support the new SpeakSooner.org web initiative to shape the public conversation about the challenges and solutions to bridging the communication gap in healthcare delivery.
- Fund research into using CCM tools to improve health outcomes and reduce healthcare costs.
- Help establish CCM programs at a Major Academic Medical Center.
Gifts and Giving
- Your donation can honor the life or memory of someone you love and admire. Acknowledgements are sent to those you would like to inform about your thoughtful gift.
- Non-cash donations: Appreciated stocks, bonds, and other property can be gifted. Such gifts often provide favorable tax benefits for the donor.
- Gifts of personal property or real estate can also be convenient ways to support.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts and Gift Annuities can benefit both the donor and CCM.
- Matching Gifts: Corporate matching gifts provide a wonderful opportunity to double, sometimes even triple, your contribution to CCM’s efforts.
- Consider a bequest designating a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your residual estate.
The Center for Communication in Medicine is a division of the Institute of Medical Humanism, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service code. Donations supporting CCM’s educational programs and SpeakSooner.org web initiative are administered through the Institute of Medical Humanism. We are grateful for your support.
Cash donations can be securely processed via the PayPal button below. For noncash or other donation types, including bulk purchases of our Difficult Conversations Workbook, we invite you to contact us to discuss the donation that is right for you.
Thank you for your consideration. We welcome the opportunity to talk with you further.